We are so glad that you have shifted to hardwood flooring for your house. We are also sure you are happy and relieved. Forget about all those ugly days that you spent worrying about staining, scratching or destructing the floor of your house. Now you don’t need to be worried about anything anymore. If you know how to take care of your hardwood flooring, you can keep it just the way it is for your entire life or for as long as you live in this house.
So how do you take care of your hardwood flooring? Here are the top 14 our tips that would help you:
- Instead of using harmful chemicals to clean the surface of your flooring, it is always good to use organic solutions; they are always better than the chemically manufactured ones: In case you don’t know this already, there are a lot of companies that manufacture organic cleaning solutions for all those who wish to stay away from chemically made ones. It is easy for you to find such products. Buy a few of such cleaning solutions and use them to keep your flooring protected.
- Don’t use dishwashing soaps to clean spilled items on the flooring. The best thing to do is lift the stuff with the help of a tissue paper first and then clean the floor with a good organic solution: No matter how hard you try to protect your flooring from having anything spilled on the surface, there are times when you spill something or the other. The best thing to do is use a tissue paper to clean the liquid and then use the organic solution to wipe off the stains.
- Request all of your friends to enter into your house by taking off their shoes outside; trust me they will love the feeling of walking on the smooth surface of hardwood flooring and won’t regret it: There are a lot of people who request their guests to enter into the house without their shoes. You can always place a shoe rack outside the door with a board to request all the guests to take off their shoes and place them there. Let them know your house is clean enough to walk barefoot.
- Don’t use products that contain lemon; it may act as bad as any other chemically made cleaning solution: You may read that lemon is good to clean stains from the flooring of your house, but this is untrue for all those who have hardwood flooring. If you want to keep your floor away from any sort of chemicals, the best thing to do is keep organic cleaning solutions ready for all your cleaning needs.
- Don’t walk with a damaged heel. You might scratch the flooring: Firstly, we are sorry to hear you have a broken heel. We know how ugly it feels when you are all set to attend a party and you realize your heel is broken. But instead of walking on the floor with it, take it off and buy some new good shoes. You can always have the shoe repaired, but you won’t be able to get rid of the scratches from the floor. Precaution is always better than cure, remember?
- If you are expecting kids at your place, let them play on a washable mat; request them not to spill colors on the flooring of your house: Kids are beautiful; they are so angelic! However, you hate the little devils when they spill different things on the floor of your house. The worst thing is that you can’t say a word to their parents; they apologize and leave your house, but you have to bear the consequences and stay with stained floors all throughout your life. The best thing to do is spread washable mats for kids so that they can enjoy their own time without putting you in trouble.
- Train your pets to sit on the carpets especially spread for them; this would keep you away from allergens: Most of us have pets now; sometimes, we bring abandoned puppies or kittens and allow them to stay with us for a long period of time. If you have little cuties in your house, there is only one thing that you can do – train them to sit on their respective carpets. Your hardwood flooring stays clean for a long period of time if you do this for your pets.
- Don’t spill anything hot on the surface of your hardwood flooring; take care while cooking in the kitchen: If you have hardwood flooring in your kitchen, you need to be very careful while cooking. Don’t spill hot water or gravy on the floor or you might disturb the surface. Make sure you take a good amount of care while working in the kitchen or even while bringing hot food to the next room.
- Avoid placing candles on the hardwood flooring of your house: So you are planning to host a romantic candle light dinner for your girl; that’s beautiful. But don’t even think of placing the wax candles on the floor, directly. Candle stands are pretty affordable now and you can always own a few for all such events. Buy a few candle stands and place the candles in them. We are sure your problem is solved!
- Instead of sweeping your floor over and over again, the best thing to do is clean it with the help of a broom or vacuum cleaner: Why would you want to use so much of cleaning solution to sweep your floor? Even if you use organic floor cleaners, avoid sweeping the floor too much. Instead, use a broom to clean the floor. You can always kick off all the dirt with the help of a vacuum cleaner.
- Use protective window coverings to protect the floor from ultraviolet rays (UV): Sunrays are wonderful, but you need to find ways to keep the flooring protected from the UV rays. The best thing to do is use protective window coverings so that the rays don’t reach the floor of your house to hamper the image of the surface of your flooring.
- Make sure the nails of your pets are trimmed; don’t forget to clean their paws: If you have pets, there is one more thing that you need to do – take them for grooming sessions every month. If you don’t have enough money to do so, the best thing to do is do it all by yourself. Keep trimming the nails of your pets and keep their paws as clean as possible to protect your floor.
- If you spill something, wipe it off IMMEDIATELY: Don’t wait to get out of your hangover; if you spill something on the floor, rush into the kitchen and get the solution to clean it. Even if it is something dry, clean it off for the sake of maintaining the appearance of the floor.
- Use a few carpets to protect the shine of your hardwood flooring, if you are expecting guests: If a lot of guests are coming to your house, spread a few decorative carpets on the floor to protect it. Carpets are awesome ways to enhance the interiors of your house.